Monday, March 25, 2013

Turning on the lights or Why we don't call you after asking for your number



After recently reading a blog post and overhearing a conversation about this, I decided to make like a sunny dog and shed some light. 

Girls just can’t seem to figure out why boys would ask for their numbers, but then to fail to call them.  It’s so bizarre right? Just another example of Boys being stupid and dense. GIRLS WOULD NEVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT. NEVER! (I am guessing this is what girls are thinking, but this blog is called Male Mormon Mind for a reason)

Girls would never give out their number and then later have second thoughts. Oh wait, that happens all the time! But that’s not why we are here, we are here to find out why boys don’t put a ring-a-ling on that finger… uhh I mean phone. 


  1. Getting a girl’s number is a confidence booster. We don’t have to actually go on a date or do any of that time or money consuming stuff; we just have to know that we could if we wanted to
  2.  Sometimes it’s to save face with our friends. Freshman year, I went to a huge party with a few of my Bronies. We made a sacred pact that we would each get a girl’s number. Well after 3 hours of performing interpretive dance in the corner, I was numberless and the party was winding down. Meanwhile all my friends had gotten a girl’s number. So I did what I had to do, I looked for a girl that looked desperate enough to give me her # without hesitation but cute enough that I wouldn’t be made fun of by my friends. It’s a delicate balance. I found that girl, got her number, never called.
  3. Lights are turned on. Summer before my freshman year I was at a dance with my older brother. It was a very dark, especially by church dance standards. It’s the last dance, I am slow dancing with this girl and I can tell she wants the bod (and who can blame her). I am getting her number when they turn on the lights. HOLY MOTHER she looks old! I couldn’t tell before but she had to be close to 30. Earlier when she said she had just graduated I was thinking high school, but it turns out she just graduated from DENTAL SCHOOL. I definitely didn’t call her.
  4. Upon further investigation, never mind. Sometimes a little Facebook stalking is all it takes to change our minds.
  5. Its takes balls and sometimes we are lacking. All we need is 20 seconds of insane courage you say? Yeah we used that up when we asked for your number.
  6. Other things come up. One day I might get Girl A’s number and the next day I might finally have a breakthrough with Girl B that has been on my radar for months. Too bad for Girl A. Or it might be a super busy week and I didn’t have time to call within that short acceptable window of opportunity. Let’s be honest, it would be super weird if I called up a girl whose number I got at a party 3 months ago (Her: “Oh wait, you were that really hot guy” Me: “That would be me”). If I don’t call within a week of getting her number, I’m never calling.


The bright side is that as I have aged and matured, I have become less inclined to participate in such distasteful behavior. So if the boy doesn’t call you, it might have nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the boy’s immaturity. Either that, or the lights were turned on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never given my number to a boy and then not wanted him to call.

Anonymous said...

This is probably the worst thing I've ever read. Find something better to do with your free time. This is possibly the most pathetic hobby that you could possibly have. Especially as a clearly single, socially awkward, "Brony".

Elizabeth Downie said...

Haha, that commenter is so mad! Good thing you're anonymous!

I found this somewhat offensive, but realistic. And amusing. And I'm glad you've aged and matured. ;)

Carlie said...

First, to the second anonymous comment, how very narrow minded of you. Any writing is productive and useful to a person's overall education. I suggest you pick up the hobby as well, and our society's general intelligence might pick up a bit.
Second, only the bitter are offended.