Monday, August 19, 2013

Getting Some Stuff Off My Chest

 
 Hotties

I went on another date with Opera, which might seem hypocritical or disingenuous considering how I 1) just complained against girls that act as Opera has and 2) know she is leaving on a mission. But at the same time, it has turned into this fun game of “How long will it take for Opera to spill the beans?”  So this past Saturday I took her on a quick day date (I’m not a fan of day dates, but it was an unusual situation). I was half hoping for it to be a bad awkward date, but alas it was great again. -sigh-

Funny thing though, her going on a mission never came up once. Nor did it come up in any of our text conversations all throughout the week. Last night, we started talking after ward prayer, and we may or may not have talked for 4 hours straight until 1a.m. Still nothing. 

It’s getting ridiculous now. I am so tempted to ask her point blank if she is going, or even tell her that I know she is going. But that would ruin all the fun. I kind of hope she’s agonizing over it. Is that bad haha? 

You want to know what’s really bad? Last semester, I was talking to an old friend of mine, a girl who was about to leave on a mission, and she was telling me that she feels like she is putting her life on hold while all her friends are graduating, marrying, having children, and generally moving on without her. “It’s like all my friends will be gone by the time I get back” cried she.  NO FAKE JAKE. Everyone isn’t going into cryogenic sleep chambers not to be awakened until you return. Hate to burst your bubble. Many of the people you hang out with will no longer be available to hang out when you get. Almost all the boys in your current pool will be gone when you get back (and in this case you’re even more screwed because when you get back there will be a flood of girls returning with you). Just the fact that she was so depressed by this thought a mere week before she left struck me as odd (Buyer’s Remorse?) She should have known and accepted this way before she put in her papers.

That’s the other problem with this new trend for girls going on missions. For so many it’s just a trend, the cool thing to do. I honestly believe for a good number of girls, it is exactly the “well everyone else is doing it” thing. It seems exciting, fun, cool. I wanted to punch myself in the face when all the “OMG I just got called to the Boise, Idaho mission hahahaha #soblessed #godsarmy”  posts flooded my FB news feed.

Bitter much? Yes, very bitter.
 
 
 More hotties

No comments: