Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Phantom Menace of the Opera

So once upon on a time I drafted (called dibs on) a girl who I called Opera. She was my 1st pick and a top prospect (her 40 time was off the charts). Unfortunatly the pick was wasted because she got engaged before I had a chance to make my move. Imagine my surprise when I saw her in church today, ringless and manless! Of course I am no noob. I didn't approach right away, instead I observed from a distance and then dutifully researched her on Facebook after church. (Some might call this stalking, some would be wrong, this is not stalking, this is doing your due diligence so you don't hit on an engaged girl, totally different) So it turns out that the engagement had been called off and she was indeed moving back into our ward.

Possessing this information, I had a hard choice to make. Do I make a run at her right away, or do I wait and give her more time. It might be too soon after the break up for her to accept any advances, but on the other hand, a girl as beautiful and talented as Opera does not generally last long on the open market.

As it turns out, I hadn't decided one way or the other when I ran into her at ward prayer. A pretty good conversation ensued, and (totally unplanned) the conversation turned to a concert I wanted to go to in SLC. She expressed interest in going, I invited her to join me, and we made a date out of it. Probably the easiest and most natural date asking out I ever did in my life. It seems like such a simple thing, but it never works that well. It usually involves weeks of planning and several nervous phone calls before finally getting a hold of the girl and asking her out.

So I finally have a date with Opera. I never thought this day would come. I'm gonna Dwight Howard (rebound) her like a pro.


Sometimes this exactly how I feel trying to lock down a girl before any other guy does.

No comments: