Monday, June 22, 2015

Operation Charm Offensive Part 1

So I ended up voicing some of my concerns from the previous post with Opera (the mature thing to do) but in a understated way so it didn't seem like I cared toooo much (less mature). Then I became less and less worried about those specific issues over the next few days. I decided that by overthinking things I would only screw myself over. Besides the whole time she still insisted that I come visit her for Memorial day, so there must be some hope right?  

Anyways, the night of my flight I was fairly freaked out about finally seeing her. I hadn’t see her in two years. What if I'm not attracted to her anymore? What if it is horribly awkward? What if her parents don't like me? What if I am allergic to her cat and I get puffy eyes and the sniffles for my whole trip?  I tried to lower my expectations, but I was really sweating it the whole plane ride over. 


sweat animated GIF

Funny thing though, when I finally see her across the terminal, I was just so happy to see her, I didn’t even think about all the stuff I had been stressing out about during the plane ride over. It was so natural and easy.
We went straight from the airport to dinner with her parents. Why not? WHY THE FREAK NOT? The mom was super nice and we got off to a great start, it was all warm hugs and big smiles. The dad of course was colder/more intimidating. The first story he told was how he got one of his coworkers fired (and probably ruined his career) for what seemed to be a minor offense. Upon finishing the story he laughed a little (the only time he did all night) and then immediately continued to stare intensely at me.


[​IMG]

Honestly though he seemed to warm up to me by the end of the dinner (and Opera later confirmed that he is actually a big fan of yours truly). I appeared that the dad mostly liked me because 1) I'm on a very prestigious/lucrative career path and 2) I’m not Opera’s ex-boyfriend who he hated with a vengeance. Parents always love me.
So although I won the parents over, it was a little stressful as they (pretty much just the dad) asked me questions nonstop about my career, my family, my medical history and if I ever worked as a male stripper (answer: only once and it was for a good cause). Like the dude is super-duper opinionated about the most random things.  Answering his questions felt like walking in a mine field, I was always afraid that one of my answers would be one of the things that sets him off. 
After dinner we go to play games at her family’s best friend’s house so I get to meet like 10 more people who question me about my history as member of the Thunder Down Under. Me and all these people I just met and who are obviously sizing me up start playing these ridiculous games where you have to act things out and yell a lot and do all kinds of silly things. Pretty much a dream come true for me.
Then Opera and I go to the local YSA dance because she had promised someone she would stop by. When we get there Opera is instantly bombarded by people wanting to talk with her while I stand there smiling like a fool. I got to meet like literally 5 different guys that she had gone on dates with (I gave them all EXTRA firm handshakes, like I was literally trying to break their hands, and with one really skinny guy I think I succeeded). There was even this one recently engaged girl that would not stop hugging Opera. It was 10 minutes of solid hugging, and then she walked away only to come back 10 minutes later for another 10 minute embrace. Also, absolutely no one was dancing at this thing, just a bunch of standing people while the saddest DJ you've seen worked his heart out. Super weird. 

Anyways the dance ended, or should I say the stand ended :), and we talked in her car for a while, and the night was wrapping up, and I wanted to just reach over and grab her face and kiss it. 

But I didn't.

I didn't want to jump the gun or rush things. Too much downside at that point. Besides, it was only my first night, if I was to be rejected, I would prefer it to be later in the trip so I didn't have 3 whole awkward days to hang out with her and her family.

No, my game plan for the rest of the weekend was to take it slow, nice and easy like.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Oh my gosh, this whole story makes me so glad 1) I'm no longer a YSA and 2) I've given up on dating. I'm serious. I don't miss these awkward moments!